An alternative middle school? I'm sure most of you out there have heard about this new Phoenix Alternative Middle School program-thing they've got going on over at Perry.( http://www.phoenixms.org/faqs.htm)This school is basically a mini-LAP. They have flexible block scheduling, student forums, student voice/opinion, and other various features in common with Linworth. Alright, cool. But there is one key feature that sets us apart from Phoenix. The students are graded through a Mastery system. As it states on their websites the students at Phoenix are expected to get a 90% or above or they will have to repeat the assignment with limited time until "mastery" is achieved. This is one feature I both like and dislike. I like this because it forces students to keep up and do their best on their work. And I dislike this because, looking at this from a students point of view, it would be very stressful. But then again I don't know the kind or the amount of work that they recieve daily.
Another alternative program that peaked my interest was the Columbus Alternative HIgh School (http://www.cahs.info/) This school, again, offers the benefits as Linworth. Students go between their "home school" and CAHS for their courses. They don't have an athletics team, like Linworth, and they have block scheduling. All is fairly similar except it's "Interim/Walkbout"-esque program. At CAHS, the students begin this system their sophomore year and is continued throughout their high school career. Throughout their last three years at CAHS, CAHS students go to an internship position every Wednesday rather attend to their regular courses. Personally, the whole "every Wednesday"-thing is a bit of a turn off for me. I can't pinpoint why, but it just seems a waste of school days.
Monday, February 18, 2008
Alternative Schools
Posted by Ego Brain at 4:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I think it's cool that you chose to write about schools that are close to home. It makes it easier to relate to.
My view of Phoenix is that it stole all the good teachers from Perry. I am not amazingly aproving of the program in general, though I don't want to go into why. But seriously, all the teachers who I might admit to missing from middle school are either retired or at Phoenix. I'm not sure what to think of that...
Post a Comment