Should I care that Heath Ledger is dead? Why is it news that Kanye's mom died? Both were front page news on CNN.com. Why are celebrities (and now their kin) newsworthy?
Well, the way I see it is because they're celebrities. They are our American gods. People idolize and worship celebrities. (Though I really don't see the purpose of that.) My parents were having a conversation about this subject the day they found Heath dead. My mother made the point of saying, "Because their celebrities and because everything they do is publicized, after a while you almost feel like you know the person." Though that isn't necessarily true, I can see where she's coming from. But after a time of hearing the same story over and over again, though, people eventually begin to say, "Alright! I get it! Their dead!" Take the Anna Nicole Smith death for example. That was so over done and debated about for such a long time that her body began to decay and they couldn't embalm her because of the controversy that was going on over her corpse. Now, I don't know a whole lot about Anna Nicole, but I knew that she had a drug and drinking problem and with that fact in mind I thought they didn't even need to do an autoposy! We all saw it coming. We all knew it was drug overdose! Case closed.
My point is; some people care while others simply don't. And that's fine because I for one don't care. Yes, it is sad and yes, Heath was a good actor but he's dead. While they could have been reporting that 44,000 children in Africa died of starvation that day they chose the story that they knew would get them more air time. I'm sorry, but that's how it is.
...
And yes, I do care about the children in Africa...):
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Heath and Kanye
Posted by Ego Brain at 2:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment