CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

R & R: What Failed to Tip

A more recent version of the "stickiness factor", in one particular area, would be all of the campaigning done for the action/sci-fi/thriller movie, "Cloverfield". The epedimic began when the first of several previews for the Blair Witch-esque movie was shown in theatres. When the first preview was presented to audiences, no movie title was given with the preview, just a release date. So it leaves you confused and wanting to find out more.

After this, the viral campaigning exploded.

Profiles were made on MySpace.com as part of the campaigning. False satellite images of the beast and other strange happenings "invovled with this event" were released. Rumours, code names, theories. A little trail of hints and clues left curious viewers wanting more! What could it possibly be? Is it another War of the Worlds movie? Was it Godzilla again? King Kong? Or as some speculated, giant mutant sewer gators? What is this thing attacking New York City (again)? The information, at least believeable information, was near impossible to find.

This stuck. Like glue in my mind. I remembered that preview for the longest time and couldn't figure out what the movie was actually called until almost a month and a half later. I wanted to see the movie for one thing. To figure out what on God's green earth this monster-thing was. And that is what made me remember this particular for the longest time until it finally came out. And, luckily, I wasn't disappointed, what with all the hype and all.

Little hints and clues in suspense movie advertising stick best with me. I see the movie out of pure curiosity (which is a reason they advertise like that, duh.) Now, if someone tries advertising a cereal brand like that though, 'What could possibly be inside of this box?' there is no way in hell I am eating that cereal. You see, I like the hype for movie, though their campaigning can be a bit over done, I sitll like the little info hunt that you have to do to find out more. Those types of ads are most memorable to me than other movie ads. That's because they get me interested and almost force me to get out for more information.

Now away movies and onto everyday 'me' life.

Everyday, I am plugged into my iPod. Almost all the time. It's compact, it carries a lot of music and movies, it's got quality ear buds, it makes that neat little clicky noise when you scrole up and---anyway, it's great. Practically everyone I know has one. Now, this a big trend! But let's look Apple's late iPod models. Take the Mini, for example. This little bugger had problems out the wazoo. It would freeze constantly, it had limited music storage space, poor quality battery, it lacked video compatiblity, and it was chunky. It had all kinds of problems. I had one before the one I have now, same with my two sisters. All three of our iPods had some sort error or defect. In fact, Minis were recalled and put out of production prior to the release of the iPod Nano, the smaller, slimer Mini counterpart. These are only a few reasons that I believe were involved in the Mini's failure at tipping towards popularity and most favorable. As for future iPod products, well, I'll just say that I'm happy with my new iPod, 100% Perfection.

0 comments: